Insect bites mostly look like little red bumps on your skin that are often itchy. They are the result of an injection of a foreign substance into your skin. The introduction of this foreign substance may trigger an allergic reaction, depending on the sensitivity of the person to that substance.
This foreign substance can come from either a venomous or a non-venomous insect. A venomous insect bites or attacks the person as a defense mechanism, injecting toxic venom into the person’s skin to keep him away. Insects such as bees, hornets, and fire ants are classified as venomous insects. Non-venomous insects, on the other hand, feed themselves by injecting anti-coagulant saliva into your skin. These insects are mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, and some spiders.
The most common effect when the skin gets irritated from an insect bite is itching. This can be treated with any Benadryl lotion. It helps lessen the swelling and eventually reduces irritation. Another effect is stinging, which can be remedied just by placing a cold wet towel on the affected area of the skin. Others may have a serious allergic reaction to an insect bite.
Treating Insect Bites
The treatment of an insect or bug bite can be crucial to your health. If you do not properly treat your insect bites then they could become a bigger issue then you ever imagined. Here are some great tips on insect bite treatments:
- Pinpoint the location of the bite or sting.
- If you have been stung, try your best to remove the stinger.
- Use a warm wash rag with soap and water to lather the area and clean the wound.
- Use a topical cream or ointment to apply on the irritated area.
- Seek medical attention if the bite or sting seems to not get any better.
- Understand how you got the bite or sting and pinpoint the type of insect that bit you.
- Rest and relax. Do not panic.
The signs and symptoms of insect bites and stings are as follows:
- The stings of bees and the bites of mosquitoes, ticks, fleas and bedbugs usually cause only local irritation and pain in the region strung or bitten.
- Moderate swelling and redness may occur; and some itching, burning, and pain may be present.
The first aid for insect bites and stings are as follows:
- The sting area should be inspected to determine whether the stinger is still left in the body. If it is, remove it in order to prevent further injection of toxin. The stinger should be carefully scraped off the skin, rather than grasped with tweezers, so as not to squeeze toxin into the body.
- Application of ice or ice water to the bite helps to slow absorption of toxin into the blood stream. A paste of baking soda and water can also be applied to the bite.
- The victim should be observed for signs of any allergic reaction. For people who are allergic, maintain an open airway and get the victim to medical help as quickly as possible.